Sourdough Bread Recipe with Starter
Nothing beats the distinct taste of home- made sourdough bread
Dish Type: baking Lifestyle: dairy free, nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Nothing beats the distinct taste of home- made sourdough bread. It is simple to make but you do need to have a bit of time. The extra effort is well worth it! Enjoy with farm fresh grass fed butter or coconut butter for our vegan friends.
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1 cup sourdough starter, recipe below
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons fine grained salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine the water, sourdough starter and 4 cups of flour.
- Mix well and cover with plastic wrap in a warm place 8-12 hours overnight works well).
- The next day stir in the salt and sugar and add flour 1/2 to 1 cup at a time to make a very stiff dough.
- Knead till smooth.
- Cover and let rise 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Punch down and divide in half.
- Knead till smooth and form into rounds. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover lightly and let rise till double and puffy (1 to 1-2 hrs).
- While this is rising mix the 1/2 cup water and 1/2 tsp cornstarch in a small bowl and microwave till boiling, remove from heat and let cool.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Carefully place a small pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven.
- Cut two slashes across each other on top of each loaf.
- Bake for 10 minutes.