Peach Upside-Down Cake
Makes one 8-inch square cake
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F(190°C).
2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in an 8-inch square pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and nutmeg. Arrange peach halves, cut side down, in pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Spread batter over peaches.
5. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove cake from oven, and let stand in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto serving platter.