Maple Bread Pudding
People with a gluten intolerance or celiac disease shouldn't be afraid of a recipe just because it calls for bread. This bread pudding recipe is the definition of comfort food. Sweet, rich in spices, and with a beautiful, buttery texture. Make this on any winters night to instantly warm your heart.
Serves 4 to 6
For the pudding:
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 slices gluten free bread, without crusts
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler, or a tempered glass bowl, combine the maple syrup and lemon juice. Butter each slice of bread and cube it before adding it to the syrup mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and vanilla. Pour this over the bread mixture and do not stir.
- Set the double boiler or glass bowl over gently boiling water and cook for 1 hour, covered. In this time it will create its own sauce.
- Serve hot with a side of ice cream or whipped cream.