Black Bean Papaya Salsa
Sometimes all you need is a good condiment to spice up dinner. This spicy, tart salsa is guaranteed to put some zest into that piece of grilled chicken or tofu. It's also got a real nutritional kick , unlike most salsas, which practically begs you to make it for your family on a regular basis.
Makes 3 cups of salsa
For the salsa:
- 3/4 cup black beans, cooked and drained
- 1 papaya, diced small
- 1/2 red pepper, diced small
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced fine
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced fine
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp flax seed oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Whisk together the lime juice, honey, flax seed oil, ginger, salt, and garlic.
- Add in the beans, papaya, peppers, and onion. Stir together and let sit for at least an hour to allow the flavours to meld.
- Just before serving stir in the cilantro. Serve chilled or at room temperature.