1 large head napa cabbage, cored and separated into individual leaves, about 1 pound total
1 small daikon radish (about 4 ounces)
8 scallions, greens roughly chopped, whites reserved separately
8 cloves garlic
One 2-inch knob ginger, peeled
1/2 cup Korean chili powder (kochukaru)
2 tablespoons white or red miso paste (gf if necessary)
1 tablespoon sugar
- Cut cabbage lengthwise then across in 2 inch pieces. Discard the root end. Place in bowl with scallion greens and daikon and sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss with hands until coated. Let sit at room temp 1-12hrs. Cabbage should be wilted and it should release 1/4-1/2cup liquid.
- Meanwhile, combine scallion whites, garlic, ginger, chili powder, miso paste and sugar into a food processor and mix. Will form a rough paste.
- When cabbage is wilted add mixture and turn to coat. Add up to 1 cup water to mixture. Add more salt if necessary. Should be as salty as sea water.
- Pack tightly into jars, pressing down to ensure all air bubbles are gone.
- Cover the Kimchi with its liquid.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place for 24hrs. Then it can go in the fridge. It is best eaten after 7 days in the fridge. Will last for <1month after opening.