Annie’s Flour-less Filbert Cake
- 2 ½ cups ground hazelnuts (approximately 3 cups of whole hazelnuts)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 6 eggs
- Preheat to 350 F
- Toast hazelnuts – 350 F for 7-10 min
- Let cool and then put into a clean towel and rub together to get skins off.
- Pulse in food processor until it has the consistency of cornmeal (don’t over process or you will end up with hazelnut butter!)
- Butter and flour (using gluten free flour) an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Mix filberts, sugar, and baking powder
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until tester inserted into centre comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let cake cool, and then cut into two even layers.
- Place one layer on cake plate. Spread with frosting. Place second layer on top. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting.
1.5 cups whipping cream
3 T cacao
2 T powdered espresso
Whip cream until soft peaks form, add cacao and espresso powder and whip until blended.