Amaranth Quick Bread
Quick breads are a great way to enjoy the goodness of home made bread without slaving over yeast and kneading. This quick bread has the distinction of being gluten free. Add nuts, dried fruit, or herbs and spices of your choice to craft your own unique experience.
Makes 1 loaf
For the bread:
- 1 cup amaranth flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 3 tbsp sucanat
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed oil
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and oil a 8 inch X 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until frothy and doubled in volume. Add the milk, oil, and sucanat and mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold together with a spatula until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire baking rack to finish cooling.
- Slice and serve with butter or margarine.