by Robin Pritchard, certified holistic nutritionist, store manager, mom
It’s that time of year again when the chill in the air reminds us that fall is on the way. It is also the time of year we need to take even better care of ourselves. Busy fall schedules and the colder weather are challenging for our bodies. Taking a few extra precautions this fall will surely lead to a happier and healthier fall.
Six areas to consider:
1. Self-care – if you’re sick, the best thing to do is stay home and get better, have a bath with some healing essential oils, Epsom salts, moisturize your chapped skin
2. Sleep – let your body do the work by resting so it can take over
3. Hydration – teas, broth soups, juices, whatever it takes, to stay properly hydrated. This allows the body to work more efficiently allowing your body to heal faster
4. Immune Support – this is where supplementation is your best friend… Don’t forget that 80% of your immune system is found in your gut so probiotics and fermented foods are extremely beneficial. At Community Natural Foods you can guarantee your supplements are free of artificial colors, flavours and dyes.
5. Hygiene – I am going to sound like your mother for a minute – remember to wash your hands regularly and keep them away from your nose, mouth and ears. And use a natural hand sanitizer.
6. Good Diet – And finally, and most importantly, there is no replacement for a healthy diet. Colourful fruits and vegetables, herbs and mushrooms contain phytonutrients that are your army in the cold and flu war.
And finally, go easy on yourself. It is actually good for the body to get sick once in a while.