With the laze and haze of summer behind us, lounging lakeside is a distant memory. With fall on the horizon, the “R” word looms before us - yes, gulp… ROUTINE. Defined, ‘routine’ means: a regular or habitual performance of an established procedure. It’s this ‘habitual’ connotation that often leads us to associate routine with tedious daily boredom.
But routines can be like a breath of fresh air: allowing us to take comfort in what is known and familiar and safely return to patterns that have worked well in the past. A tried and true routine can serve as the basis for great choices that form the foundation and motivation for healthier living.
The best daily routine is our first morning meal: “breaking of the fast” or breakfast! Breakfast allows us to nourish our bodies after a long night of repair and recovery with little no food for long period. You’ve heard it before – it’s THE most important meal of the day and shouldn’t be missed. New research proves this old wise-wives’ tale to be true as this daily morning ritual can help to: allow for healthier lunch choices, reduce mid-morning snacking, body mass index and supress sugar and bad fat cravings. In children, long term research has shown that breakfast can result in better school attendance, behavior and academic performance.
So eating breakfast is truly a no-brainer when it comes to a daily routine. But the question then becomes, what foods are best to routinely eat?
Well simply put, it’s superfoods to the rescue! Superfoods are another excellent choice for a healthy daily regimen. By including superfoods at the start of your day, you will ensure that your body gets the nutrients it needs: whole protein, healthy fats and excellent fiber. In addition, the high levels of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals found in superfoods gets the easiest and biggest bang for your breakfast buck! Simply add a tablespoon of each to morning smoothies, oatmeal, cereal or yogurt to give a super start to your day.
Our top SUPERFOOD gluten free, nut free and vegan choices are:
- Hemp Hearts - Best source of plant-based whole protein, hemp is also high in Vitamin E antioxidant, excellent source of omega’s (like the hard to cellular boosting: gamma linoleic acid) is mineral rich and high soluble fibre.
- Chia Seeds - Excellent for digestive health (insoluble fibre), and reducing blood sugar levels, this bland tasting seed is high in omega 3’s, high minerals including calcium and magnesium, and is easy to sneak in everywhere!
- Goji Berries - Goji’s are a great source of anti-oxidants, protein, minerals (iron, potassium), beta-carotene with powerful polysaccharides that help to: stimulate human growth hormone; reduce blood pressure, blood sugar and bad cholesterol; and enhance immunity, cell activity and food conversion.
- Cacao Nibs - Heart healthy cacao helps to reduce: blood pressure, plaque in the arteries and bad cholesterol. It’s also a rich source of anti-oxidants, full of vitamins and minerals and a natural stimulant for feeling great!
- Coconut (Flour) - All things coconut are wonderful, including the flour! As the highest fibre flour, with ½ a tablespoon you can help keep the insides squeaky clean; reduce bad cholesterol and blood sugar while boosting the immune system.
Getting into a routine may seem daunting, but by simply adding superfoods to your daily breakfast regimen, you can quickly get back on a healthy track. So go ahead, embrace the R-word for all of its super REWARDS!
Ann Barnes (Hons B.A, LLB), is the founder of Mum’s Original superfoods and the author of the health and wellness book "Better Being" and most recently: an allergen and gluten free superfood guide and cookbook entitled "Eat Super, Be Super!". Ann enjoys educating people about the benefits of eating whole food superfoods while creating delicious allergen and gluten free, plant-based recipes that the whole family can enjoy (even the really picky ones).