VIOXX is a COX-2 selective NSAID, a nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drug (like Aspirin and Motrin) that targets an enzyme called cyclooxygenase-2 and reduces inflammation by blocking the production of prostaglandins, hormone like substances that are linked with pain. While NSAIDS may be relatively safe for occasional use, they can cause serious side effects if used on a long term basis. This is because prostaglandins also perform necessary duties like regulating blood pressure and kidney function. Blocking their activity negatively affects the whole body.
There are many natural herbs and spices that are clinically proven to reduce inflammation and inhibit COX -2 without causing the detrimental side effects of VIOXX. In fact, most are time-honoured culinary ingredients with excellent safety records. The most popular include:
- Ginger: Contains elements that inhibit COX –2, promote healthy circulation and are anti-aging.
- Tumeric: Contains a phytonutrient called cucumin that naturally inhibits inflammation.
- Boswellia: A common Ayurvedic ingredient, this Indian plant contains acid compounds that reduce inflammation and stiffness.
- Cat’s Claw: A South American plant that has been used by traditional peoples for over 2000 years. Its antioxidants and plant sterols fight inflammation in joints and the digestive system.
- Holy Basil: Contains the powerful COX-2 inhibitor ursolic acid, which significantly enhances detoxification and reduces inflammation.
- Oregano: Contains 31 anti-inflammatory compounds (USDA database)
- Rosemary: Contains a full spectrum of COX-2 inhibiting substances as well as detoxifying agents.
- Serratia Peptidase: An enzyme made from a microorganism in the silkworm intestine. Helps to dissolve non-living tissue and inflammation agents. Clinically used in Europe for over 25 years.
Bromelain: An enzyme found in pineapple that is well known for its ability to reduce inflammation and support prostaglandin production.
*This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. For any health related concerns, please consult your doctor. Community Natural Foods and all of its associates shall not be held accountable for how this information is perceived or utilized.