by Orsha Magyar, M.Sc, C.H.N of Neurotrition
Highly nutritious food is the fuel for your brain and mental as well as physical wellness. New science is suggesting that the pesticides added to conventional foods may be affecting your hormonal, brain and mental health along with baby’s brain development. The chemicals going into our food are creating cognition- killing foods that may be doing more harm than good, dampening thinking, energy, learning and memory! Luckily, there are plenty of brain-healthy foods out there. However, if not organic they could actually cause more brain-drain than gain. Yes, organic can be pricey but there are ways to incorporate it into your life without breaking the bank. Try following a plant-based diet, avoiding the dirty dozen or making sure to buy these products organic. Even a partial organic diet has been shown to greatly improve overall health.
5 Reasons Organic Food is a No-Brainer:
1. More Antioxidants - Studies are beginning to suggest organic produce contains significantly higher polyphenolic content than conventional produce. Polyphenols are antioxidants that have been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular and neurodegenerative disease, and to the prevention of cancer.
2. Avoid Hormones & Antibiotics - Not only do a large amount of pesticides come from meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products, antibiotics and hormones are also directly passed into conventional meat and dairy products. The growth hormones being fed to the animals can’t be broken down and are passed directly into our diets. Most antibiotics produced are actually used to go into these animals and eventually our food, affecting our health. Many scientists agree that the rampant antibiotic use in animal feed is a large public health issue that may breed an epidemic, rendering antibiotics ineffective.
3. Less Pesticides - Organic fruits and vegetables are significantly less contaminated with pesticide and herbicide residues. Phthalates are common ingredients in pesticides that have shown to be endocrine disruptors and may cause disruption to the reproductive, nervous and other bodily systems. Pesticides can often also act as neurotoxins, blocking important enzymes possibly causing neurological issues, depression, learning and developmental disorders.
4. Fewer Heavy Metals - Organic food may be lower in toxic heavy metals such as cadmium, which is a hazardous substance to the brain. Chronic exposure to cadmium may inhibit calcium metabolism, interfering with our electrolyte balance—and our brain cells’ ability to talk to one another.
5. Sustainable - Going organic isn’t just good for your mind and body, it’s good for the environment too! Organic farms use less fossil fuels, emit less methane and nitrous oxide, and can safely sequester large amounts of carbon dioxide in the soil. Agricultural chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers from conventional farming are contaminating our environment, poisoning our precious water supplies, and destroying the value of fertile farmland. By eating organic, you’re doing your part to reduce your carbon footprint.
NeuroTrition translates neuroscience knowledge into evidence-based nutrition toolkits patients, employees and individuals use to build and maintain their best brains. We offer innovative, accessible solutions for Building Happy Healthy Brains.