1 It’s a great way to get more vegetables into your diet at the beginning of the day.
2. Soup is warm and soothing during the winter months.
3. Many of your favourite breakfast foods taste great in soup – crack an egg into broth, add green onion, bacon or sausage, apple, and even a scoop of oatmeal.
4. It is a good way to reduce your sugar intake. Many North American breakfast options are high in sugar or simple carbohydrates.
5. The perfect alternative for people staying away from grains and gluten.
6. Easier to digest, if you choose a broth soup with veggies as soups require less energy to break down. The ingredients in liquid meals can be absorbed in to the bloodstream easily with out much effort.
7. Soups can be light or hearty depending on your morning appetite.
8. It is convenient. You can make soup on the weekend or night before and just heat and eat.
9. Easy to transport. Just invest in travel coffee mug or thermos.
10. It might even help you fight off the flu, if you go for chicken soup, miso or bone broth.
Poached Egg in Miso Soup
2 cups water
3 tbps miso
1 green onion, chopped
a handful of spinach
a pinch of red pepper flakes
Bring water to a boil and then turn element to medium heat so that water is simmering. Stir in miso paste and then crack egg into a bowl and gently slide in to water. Add spinach. Cook until egg is desired doneness. Remove from heat and add red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
Adapted from Marthastewart.com
Or try some of our other soup recipes!