The next time you need something to serve on Mother’s Day give this naturally flavoured french toast a try. It can easily be made with soy milk and gluten-free bread if you or someone you know has a specific dietary restriction.
For the french toast:
12 slices of bread (3/4 inch thick)
1 cup whole milk or rich soy milk
1/3 cup fireweed honey, additional honey for drizzling
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
4-6 tbsp butter
2 limes, sliced into wedges
Confectioners sugar (for dusting)
To prepare the french toast:
1) Preheat your oven to 300ºF.
2) In a small saucepan heat the milk and honey over medium heat until the honey is fully dissolved, just a few minutes.
3) In a small bowl begin whisking the eggs together before starting to slowly drizzle in the milk mixture. Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla and continue to whisk until the mixture is a homogenous colour.
4) Heat a large skillet over medium head and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Allow the butter to melt before briefly dipping rnough bread to cover the skillet into the egg mixture and placing it onto the skillet.
5) Cook each piece of bread for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. In between each batch wipe out the skillet with paper towel and add another 1/2 tbsp of butter.
6) Place the cooked toast onto a pan lined with tinfoil or onto oven-proof plates and keep in the oven to stay warm.
7) When ready to serve plate the french toast and drizzle with extra honey. Serve with a wedge of lime and dust with confectioners’ sugar.